Mrs. Allin had her 5th graders engaged while racing a Sphero to review the different types of reference materials in the library. Once you have the SpheroEdu App downloaded, creating a fun activity like this is simple! Simply write/type your key terms or key words you've been reviewing in class each on a separate sheet of paper. Have those terms dispersed in your "Sphero Arena".
Before the Sphero Sprint:
· Divide the class in two teams
· Create team names if desired
· Create a Score Board.
· Assign a Score Keeper if desired
· Create your Sphero Arena
· Place the different coins (both sides) on one side of the room.
· Create a Competitor’s Stand by placing pieces of paper on the floor and a table/desk nearby to place iPads on, enough distance from the Sphero arena that the competitors can see inside the arena but have enough distance between to drive his/her Sphero in the sprint.
· Determine game rules and share with class
· Noise levels
· Order of opponents
During the Sphero Sprint:
· Competitors begin by standing at the Competitor’s Stand.
· Competitors will use the iPad to calibrate and then drive their Sphero.
· Call out the definition and have students race his/her Sphero to the correct picture/term.
· Award points for the competitor who gets his/her Sphero to the correct term first.
· Competitors drive their Spheros and place back to the Competitor’s Stand